Our Emergency Medicine program is comprised of 3 years of residency training.
The program is fully accredited by the American College of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
Rotational months are built into each training year and consist of 4-week blocks.
Blocks are arranged so that first-years are exposed to foundational medicine and Medical ICU training while second and third-year blocks consist of trauma resuscitation, more A shifts in the ED, and Coronary/Surgical/Pediatric ICU training. Third-year resident blocks will incorporate Obstetrics, Administration, an Elective month, and an International Medicine block (which can also be substituted for an additional elective).
Our residents have the opportunity to complete “away” elective rotations and have done so at many different institutions including Northwell Health Sports Medicine in Long Island, NY and The R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore, MD.
Each year consists of 4 weeks of vacation total: either two sets of 2-weeks vacation, or one 2-week vacation plus two sets of 1-week vacations.
First Year (EM-1)
- Orientation 4 weeks
- Adult Emergency Medicine (EM) 22 weeks (6.5 blocks)
- Brookdale Pediatric EM (PEM) 8 weeks (2 blocks)
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS) 3 weeks
- Internal Medicine (IM) 2 weeks / Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) 2weeks
- Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) 4 weeks (6 total MICU weeks)
- Anesthesia AM / Ultrasound PM (split days) 3 weeks
- Vacation 4 week
Second Year (EM-2)
- Emergency Medicine (Brookdale Pediatric EM shifts mixed in) 28 weeks (8 blocks)
- Coronary Care Unit (CCU) 2 weeks / Critical Care Medicine (CCM) (MICU transfer-of-care team) 2 weeks
- Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) 4 weeks
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) @ Downstate University Medical Center 4 weeks
- Pediatric EM (PEM) @ Maimonides Medical Center 4 weeks
- Ultrasound 4 weeks
- Vacation 4 weeks
Third Year (EM-3)
- Emergency Medicine (Brookdale Pediatric EM shifts mixed in) 34 weeks (9 blocks)
- Obstetrics (Ob) 2 weeks
- Elective (of your choosing) 4 weeks
- International Rotation (or elective of your choosing) 4 weeks
- Administration (Admin) 4 weeks
- Vacation 4 weeks